Location: To be determined (this role is not remote and relocation to agency's city is necessary)
Hiring Range: This position is anticipated to pay between $65,000 - $75,000 annually, depending on experience. This range reflects a base pay plus a premium reflecting the employee’s placement with an outside agency.
Are you looking to expand your ability to help more animals and people? Best Friends is seeking versatile, solution-oriented, and inspirational leaders for its National Shelter Embed Program. This unique program places professional staff in key communities throughout the nation to work directly within a partner organization as “embed” staff for the duration of each project. The Manager of Operations ingrains themselves within the shelter we partner with to create systemic change by leading the team to implement proven strategies to achieve and sustain no-kill, the 90% lifesaving benchmark of success.
Position Summary: The Manager of Operations -Embed Project is a critical position within the Best Friends Programs Division in which the manager is working within an agency, where cats and dogs are currently being killed for space, as an “embed” employee to lead lifesaving efforts for said organization. They are responsible for the management of the daily operations of assigned embed projects in assistance with local agency leadership and in place of, or in conjunction with, organizational management. The manager ensures the appropriate standards of care are adhered to so there is a safe environment for animals, staff, and volunteers and the agency is on target for meeting its lifesaving goals and achieving no-kill. The work performed in this position is significant to the success of creating a no-kill country by 2025.
Essential Duties/ Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate kindness and the Golden Rule in our everyday actions by practicing inclusion and respect for every person for the value they bring to the table. Be a role model for the spirit of authenticity, kindness and positive influence with each other, our visitors and volunteers as well as to the animals every day. This includes listening, being present, being supportive of others and demonstrating compassion and curiosity in conflict. Work to build strong relationships with your team and agency staff by creating communication loops to share and receive honest feedback.
- This is a position with extended project-based travel and/or temporary long-term relocation, ranging from a few days to upwards of 18 months, to anywhere in the United States. The size, scope and responsibilities of each assignment can vary from pre-embed work to support of a project with a primary embedded staff to being the primary embedded staff. *Best Friends offers travel and/or relocation expenses based on the specific needs of each project.
- Serve in a leadership position, working collaboratively with agency to create systemic change to achieve and sustain no-kill in the designated community.
- Direct management of lifesaving operations in assigned embed agency; plan, implement, facilitate, monitor, and evaluate all lifesaving programs ongoing for proven strategies and continuing education for attainment of agency and Best Friends goals and to achieve no-kill by scheduled deadline.
- Critically analyze shelter data to better direct resources to more efficiently achieve no-kill and ensure data compliance. Work with Best Friends supervisor to facilitate resources for assigned agency once data has been analyzed and gaps in the agency’s operations budget have been identified that are critical in order to achieve goals.
- Identify areas where additional support is needed to create or improve specific programs and coordinate with Best Friends programs staff to facilitate additional support needed to ensure success and sustainability of project.
- Manage communication within assigned agency to ensure that all staff are communicated with regularly. Provide training to staff and volunteers and ensure the performance of tasks and behaviors are in conjunction with all policies and procedures of the assigned agency. In collaboration with agency leadership, create, update and implement standard operating procedures for all lifesaving areas. This could include timely and proficient performance management and job descriptions for staff and volunteers, in assistance with agency leadership, in all lifesaving areas.
- Manage communications within Best Friends, ensuring everyone is updated on progress and challenges and kept abreast of lifesaving progress to goal. Identify opportunities for marketing, communications and development to showcase progress on local and national platforms. Build relationships in the community and surrounding communities to improve image of the agency, grow partnerships with local organizations, increase brand exposure for Best Friends, and increase opportunities for reduction in shelter killing in neighboring communities.
Skills and Experience:
- Solid leadership and management experience in animal shelter operations with a comprehensive understanding of proven strategies to increase dog and cat lifesaving; 2+ years of proven successful leadership experience including overseeing large-scale lifesaving operations, staffing, and implementation of proven strategies through the tactical application; 3+ years of experience working for or with a humane organization preferred but not required.
- Strengths and experience in using statistical information to inform, develop and implement department-level operational plans, including change management strategies and ability to model all components of plans for the team; proven attention to detail with advanced organizational and time management skills.
- Customer-centric, non-judgmental approach to engaging with adopters, partners, visitors, volunteers, community members, and colleagues; familiarity and comfort with non-judgmental philosophies.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to act decisively with a get-it-done attitude in difficult and fast-paced situations; strong interpersonal skills, a team player, upbeat, energetic, tactful, and diplomatic, able to get along with people from diverse backgrounds, as well as the ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Excellent communication skills, public speaking, and presentation experience. Bi-lingual in Spanish and English preferred but not required. Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends’ positions on issues; experience in supporting, engaging with, and developing relationships with community members, as well as volunteers and donors.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products; familiarity with shelter software/animal management software, or desire to learn, comfort learning new systems, including online information systems.
- Must be able to routinely lift 50 pounds.
- Extended periods of time working on the computer with repetitive typing, arm, and hand motion.
- Ability to be in a shelter environment and work in the presence of both cats and dogs, including organizations where cats and dogs are currently being killed for space.
- Bend, stoop, reach, climb, twist, crawl, stand and walk for an extended period.
- Must be able to work in weather with temperatures varying between extreme hot and extreme cold.
- Able to work varying hours, which may include early morning and/or late evening hours.
- Ability to travel via various forms of transportation.
- Valid driver's license, ability to qualify to be added to Best Friends insurance, ability to travel and/or drive on behalf of Best Friends, including overnight stays, when needed.
After applicants accept an offer of employment in writing, they will be asked to provide Covid-19 vaccination status information pursuant to any applicable policies in place at the time of hiring.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or domestic partner status.
Applicants for employment in the US must have valid work authorization that does not now and/or will not in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the US by Best Friends Animal Society.